Thursday, September 17, 2009

Post from HOME

Well, I've registered my vehicle, applied for a CA driver license, and am about to start paying property taxes and a mortgage. I suppose it's official, I guess this place is home now. Fortunately, the one thing that I really truly love here in Ridgecrest is my house. Thank goodness, since this is where I spend ALL of my time. If I could just pick up my house and Nate's job, and move back to Logan, life would be so sweet. Yes, Nate STILL loves his job. In fact, it gets better for him everyday. Saying he loves it actually doesn't even do it justice. I'm really happy for him. He worked so hard through school, and deserves to enjoy what he's doing. Now if only I could figure out how to get me a part time job doing something I somewhat enjoy until the baby comes...I will post some pics of our home when it gets put all together. But here are some pics of our temporary housing place from the first week we were here. It was nice and cozy.
Our bedroom. Funny, that tv was bigger and nicer than the tv we own, but we never even turned this one on. Maybe one day when there are teenagers around, I will find a need for a tv in my bedroom. I certainly can't find a reason now.

The cozy little kitchen that thankfully came with all cookware and appliances, since ours was all packed; we didn't have to eat out every meal for a week.

The living room. This is most definitely where we lived for that week. Again, very cozy. I started to feel a little claustrophobic by the end of the week. But we sure did get used to that nice flatscreen. Nate is now convinced we need a new tv. But I just can't justify buying a new one, when there is nothing wrong with the first one! Where will we put the old one, that works just fine? Certainly not in the bedroom.

Here are the pictures I took of our house while we were waiting for the movers to come. It looks a lot better with our stuff in it! But atleast it's a little sneak peek for you all. Like I said, when I can get pictures on the walls, and make it feel a little more like home, there will of course be more pictures.
The view from the kitchen window. Yes, that is a fish pond with waterfall and fake deer. Really.

Nate's becoming really fond of the fish. I even find myself checking on them every time I walk past a window, makign sure they are still there, or something. Don't worry, I really don't think that deer is going to stay. It's just a bit much.


Nate read in on of the books the owner left us about Koi fish that you can train them to eat out of your hand. I don't have any idea why one would WANT to have this happen, but here's my dear husband trying.

The view of the whole backyard. We are greatful to have greenery in the desert. I would think it helps keep the backyard cooler, but I'm not sure. I DO know it makes me FEEL like it's a lot cooler back there. Just to see and hear water!

Nate's ritual has become going right out to feed the fish as soon as he comes home from work. They still kind of freak me out. Traumatic experience with Koi fish at the DC arboretum.

The owner of our house and his daughter came over on Sunday to teach us about the house, pond, backyard, etc. They said there should be about 40 fish in the pond. Apparently these guys multiply in the blink of an eye!

This is my giant kitchen that pretty much sold me when looking at the house. I have lots of cupboard space and the countertops are brand new.

But it is kind of gigantic and haven't quite figured out what to do with it yet. But there's a dishwasher!!!!!! And I can't believe I've ever lived without one. My mom still doesn't have a dishwasher and she cooks every day and never has a sink full of dirty dishes. And never complains! One of the many, many reasons I love and admire her.

All of the storage space in the hallway. Thank goodness, because there are no basements in this town. So I have no idea where we would put anything if we didn't have this lovely little arrangement.
The living room. Also, a selling point for me. You can't tell from this pic, but it's very big and open. I like it a lot. Don't worry that EVERY house we've seen in Ridgecrest has a huge fireplace. I don't know why they would ever need more heat here!

The baby's room. (His closet is bigger than any Nate or I have ever had.)

The guest room. Hint, hint...guests.

Our bedroom. There are french doors going out to the pond, and the door on the left goes to the back patio. There are also two bathrooms, but I didn't take pictures of them, because who wants to look at a toilet? Though they are nice bathrooms; recently completely remodeled.

So that concludes our tour, I guess! Any questions? :)
Update on this baby that's currently trying to push my organs out of his way, he's good. very, very, very active. I have felt very, very pregnant since being here. I've narrowed that down to three reasons why: 1)the unbearable heat (has yet to be below 104) is worse with my mini heater going on all of the time. Heat+prego=misery. 2) Up until now, I haven't really had time to think about being pregnant. I was always busy working, getting my husband to complete his thesis, worrying about moving to the middle of nowhere desert, etc. Now that we are here, have a place to live, husband is actually DONE with school, and I still can't find a job, I pay a lot more attention to being pregnant. Or 3) I'm now in the third trimester and that is just supposed to be destined uncomfortableness. I saw my new Dr. this week and he said he's positive this baby boy will not be your average 7 1/2 pound baby. Duh, doc. I don't have a PhD, but I certainly could have told you that. Do Nate and I look like average sized people? Atleast he confirmed my hope that the baby (and me) are measuring further along than what Logan Regional has been telling me all of this time, and that the baby is more than likely going to arrive before the original estimated due date. Hmm, interesting. :) So for that reason alone, I like this doctor.
I hope all of your lives are more exciting and eventful than mine! Look forward to another post coming along about the things I'm learning about this town. I've started a list. Number one: The beloved Carl's Jr $.99 spicy chicken sandwich is $1.29 here. Who does that?! My ever optimistic husband continues to remind me atleast we have a Carl's Jr. Life could be worse.


Oh! And here are a couple of pictures of me and Trayson on the day we left my parent's house to come to Cali. I was so sad when we drove away. I basically cried all the way to Layton. And EVERY time I talk to Trayson on the phone, our conversation goes like this: Trayson="Where are you?" Sara="I'm at my new house. In California." Trayson="Oh. Is that far away?" Sara="Kind of. It's farther than my Logan house. I have lots of fish! Do you want to come see me?" Grandma="Trayson, remember when your dad showed you on the map where Sara lives?" Trayson="Oh, yes. I don't want to come there. It's too far away. Bye." Sigh. I fear this is going to be the conversation I deal with from everyone.

14 comments:

stacey said...

Average Sized People. Ha! Gets me every time!!!!!!

Rob and Mare said...

Your house is amazing! And your backyard is gorgeous! I'm so glad that Nate loves his job. But really, what guy wouldn't love that job?:) It's every guys dream. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Even if you get bored and just want to chat. Oh and I'm so sorry I was so out of it the other day when you called. You know how it is, your brain just goes away and refuses to work. (Like that too new for me. ha) sorry! I'm rambling!
But everything looks awesome! And again let me know if I can do anything.

Steph and Brady said...

Your house looks great! I love all of the fish and the fake deer! That is awesome. I feel your pain with the heat (I am sure you feel it more there). I hope that you are feeling great! You look great! Hope you love it there!

Steph and Brady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni said...

I like the deer and think you should keep it. You need a TV in the bedroom because it sometimes feels really nice to lay in bed and watch tv - duh. Mom not having a dishwasher is not something I admire her for. I think she is a little crazy (no offense Mom). The baby measuring big does not mean he is coming early. It means he is going to be huge and it is going to be really, really, really hard to get him out. I know - I have had some big babies. Both you and Nate are taller than Tyler and I so you should have even bigger babies. The end.

Jenni said...

***********

Kym said...

WE MISS YOU!!!!!!! Riley misses his Aunt Sara and Uncle Nate!!! Guests....does that mean it will hold 3 people?? :) I had no idea you guys were getting a house! I guess I should've assumed so since Nate will be raking in the dough now. I LOVED your post!! While I was reading it I could just hear your voice saying the words and then I got really sad. :( And, do you think Shaun could come fishing in your backyard? LOL!! I'm sorry that you're so bored and feeling very pregnant. When is the due date that your CA dr. gave you? I hope you don't learn to drive like a Californian! :) Well, when you're bored give me a call, or maybe I'll give you a call. And, do you have any tips for moving/packing?

P.S. I bought your little Mango a gift that you both will like just the other day. :)

Kym said...

I think you need to post some pictures of your belly. I know you probably don't want to, but I think you should anyway. Pregnant bellies really are cute!(you don't feel like it when you are prego, but after your baby grows up fast you start to miss it)

melissa and nathan said...

Sara,
You are reliving my newlywed life! No one wanted to visit us in hot ol Bakersfield! I begged and cried for visitors. We lived down a 1 mile dirt road in a home surrounded by almond and cotton fields. But, I have really good memories of it and that experience. Make the best of it, cause you will.
Your backyard is amazing! I would be out there every second, if the heat does not melt a person first!
Good luck, I have been thinking of you often! Melissa

Megan said...

That is one awesome back yard. I think you should keep the fake deer, name it and talk about it frequently on your blog as if it were your child. It would make me happy ;) Your house looks awesome. I hope this last trimester goes quickly for your sake and that you don't go past your due date..cause it stinks, let me tell you!

Deidra said...

It sounds like that pond is growing on you! I'm glad you enjoy your oasis in the desert. And my thoughts were of the koi at the arboretum, too. I think those babies were trained to be hand-fed.

We're so excited to come be guests at your house! And to see you. I have a feeling you guys will turn into desert weenies and be "freezing" when it's 70 and want to build a fire to keep warm.

Chris totally ate a $.99 spicy chicken sandwich as part of his post-marathon meal. Just for you.

n8'swife said...

Hey Sara! I told you I would post a comment! I love the pond, it will be the envy of all the neighbor kids, but I think the deer would totally freak me out every time I looked out the window! Ridgecrest does totally grow on you, just give it some time.

Trish Duffin said...

Oh deer! (get it? *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*) Oh miss Sara. I know how it feels to be plunked somewhere and have to grow roots there. I know it is hard to believe, but I am sure there will come a time when you will be sad to leave there. And if not, we will be happy to take you back here!!! Cute house by the way! It is a blank canvas, and it's yours! You can do whatever you want to it!I'm glad to see your are alive, and that the baby is kicking! We're thinking of you and your grand adventure.

hilary said...

ok so the backyard definitely makes it look like it's not hot there, so that's good! looks like a nice and roomy house. where exactly is ridgecrest, anyway? i need to look this up on a map. maybe we're not that far away from each other.