Tuesday, February 8, 2011

For Megan

I have this dear friend here in Ridgecrest. In the last month and a half or so, she learned she had breast cancer, had it removed, and is today, starting radiation. The first time I met her, she said, "I'm in Young Women's, so I'll probably never see you." Soon after, she was assigned as my visiting teacher. Needless to say, we have definitely gotten to know each other. She was calling us at the hospital when Evan was born, thinking of US on Christmas Eve, making sure we were alright. She came and stayed with me until late into the night when Evan was less than a week old, because Nate was going to pick up his mom from the airport and I was terrified of being alone with my new baby. She has been completely genuine since the moment I met her, sincerely wanting to get to know me and my family. Although she's a Cougar, I've managed to put that aside since there are so many other things I enjoy about her. She loves to sing. She appreciates music. She has a special bond with my child, and seems quite fond of him. She is the founder of Brazil night. She is always in the know, about anything and everything. She is superbly organized. She has a tender heart, and always manages to bring the spirit into my home. She thinks my husband is a dork, and still likes to be his friend. She seems to always know exactly what I need. She teaches her kids how to be champions at rock band. She let me be her BFF for a day, giving me lunch from my favorite restaurant in town, just because she could tell I had been having a hard week. She is dedicated to whatever she puts her mind to. She has done a spectacular job raising 3 pretty spectacular kids. She has the heartiest of hearty "real" laughs. (If I can get her to laugh her "real" laugh, man, do I feel awesome.) She can always find a good deal. She truly knows her Savior. She is always up for a girls night/lunch/day, whatever to just get out and chat. She is real. She is not afraid to let the world know how she feels. She's an avid blogger. She has taught me so very much about motherhood and sisterhood. And as I lay in bed last night, after praying for her peace and safety today, on her first day of radiation, tears were streaming onto my pillow thinking of all the reasons why I am so grateful she is in my life. Suddenly I was ticked at her because I had to get out of my warm bed to go retrieve tissues from the bathroom. Then I smiled as I thought about sharing that story with her and picturing how it would probably make her laugh and cry and the same time. So, my dear Megan, this one is for you, since I know there is NOTHING (okay, so that's probably a mighty exaggeration) that would make you happier today:

The TRIPLE BumpIt.

I don't know if this has ever been done before.

And to all my friends in Utah who see nothing wrong with this picture, that makes this that much more awesome. :)

11 comments:

Deidra said...

Wow, Sara. That is some hair!

What a blessing to have such a good visiting teacher become such a dear friend. I'm sure that the friendship is completely both directions though. Looks like you have lots of opportunities to repay the favors!

Rob and Mare said...

Oh Sar, what a great post to your friend. She sounds amazing. But I know she is just as lucky to have you as a friend.

n8'swife said...

Thank you for that post. There is no way I could write that well, but have very similar feelings. Megan is awesome (and so is your triple bump it!).

Megan said...

When I saw the title, I knew there'd be a bumpit picture in there somewhere! Totally rockin' that Utah 'do. Are you going to the grocery store or something?

And then I read your post and feel like I'm at my own funeral. Totally perfect... loved it. I laughed oh-so-heartily with a few tears streaming down my face. You were right on, my friend!

You are a dear. I totally needed that today! Thank you... *big squeezy hugs*

(PS: The kids say I need to schedule Lego Rock Band..)

curly girl said...

A million years ago, I was Megan's VT in our young married's ward in Provo (long before the BumpIt but it was a crazy place nonetheless). Thanks sharing your heart with us today...I feel better knowing she has friends like you surrounding her right now. GO MEGAN!

racheebabe said...

You describe Megan perfectly!

Love the triple bumpage.

Michelle Bell said...

This was an amazing post! What an awesome friendship. I wish her the best in this trial. She is lucky to have you at her side :)

And your hair reminds me of home :) haha

Megan said...

So, I've read this post over and over today. You're awesome. I'm awesome. And the more tired I get, the more meanings I find in your writing.

With a birthday next month, the word "cougar" took on that "special" meaning the last time I read it. Yep, that's me. Meow, rarrr, or whatever cougars do these days! *grin*

turning about said...

That was beautifully written for a beautiful person. Thanks for sharing that with us all.

dcr said...

your description of megan is so right on! i'm not surprised she likes your husband..she's totally into dorks!

many thanks to you for taking such good care of my friend when i can't be there!!!

Megan said...

Love the hair. Slightly offended that being from Utah I am supposed to think that is normal ;) And all Megan's are awesome, but I am glad you have a friend who is so there for you. I hope she does well.